Posting a resupply parcel from Calenzana to Vizzavona (in October)

almog

Posted: Sat, Oct 7, 2017, 17:27

Hi, I'm making plans on solo hiking the GR20 (SoBo) starting from October 10 next week.
I read that it's possible to post resupply parcels from Calenzana to Vizzavona's train station, but since it's somewhat off season, I wasn't sure if parcel posting is still possible at this time.

Is there any official information on that?
Also, where in Calenzana will I be able to find the postal office?

Thanks!

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Oct 7, 2017, 19:40

Hello,
Just wondered if it might be easier to arrange this with the rail station in Calvi?
The parcel would have to be transferred from the Calvi-Ponte Leccia train onto the Bastia to Ajaccio train for a drop off in Vizzavona?

--

Gaffr

almog

Posted: Sat, Oct 7, 2017, 20:01

Hi Gaffr, that a good idea, is it a service the rail station often provides or will it be a special request for them?

I'm a bit concerned about the language barrier and the likelihood of that the parcel getting there on time (7 days, I hope, if the weather allows).

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Oct 8, 2017, 8:46

Hello,
Our only experience of this type of thing was in 2007 when my wife decided that a few things in her pack could be shed so at Haut Ascu shop (inside the refuge area) the lady in the wee provisions shop agreed to get the parcel back to Bastia rail station to be collected on our return from Conca. We left her some cash for the service. The parcel was at the station for collection on our return. I guess that she has to reach Ponte Leccia to obtain supplies and also she probably lived down the valley from Haut Ascu?
My wife is a fluent French speaker so this arrangement was straightforward.
Maybe this service is still available today?

--

Gaffr

SQFP

Posted: Sun, Oct 8, 2017, 14:27

The Corsican railway carries several parcels a day (mostly commercial stuff that needs urgent delivery, e.g. fresh cheese for 5-star restaurants) so that's nothing unusual in itself, but beware! given the recent safety regulations, it might be required for someone to pick your stuff up on the same day at the destination station (goods/parcels/luggage can't be stored in public areas incl. Corsican train stations since the 2016 Nice terror attacks).

The -- way better -- alternative is to use the regular "Poste Restante" postal service.
When at the Calenzana post office, just send that parcel to "Mr or Mrs Yourself / Poste Restante / Quartier Caruggio / 20136 Bocognano" which is the address of the nearest post office from Vizzavona: only 12mn by train, open Mon-Fri am&pm. The cost for sending your parcel at Calenzana would be in the 10~30€ range depending on weight, delivery within 48-72 hours.
Once in Bocognano you'll have to show some ID and drop a few euros more to pick your stuff up (it's 4€ per parcel, IIRC). The Bocognano post office will store it for up to 2 weeks, that's plenty of time... then return it to sender (... that would be your home address).

--

French geologist with a soft spot for Corsica...

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Oct 8, 2017, 15:05

Thanks for that SQFP.....I just wasn't completely sure if things had altered with parcels being sent by rail. Yes a lot has happened since 2007. Do you live on the Island?

--

Gaffr

SQFP

Posted: Sun, Oct 8, 2017, 17:58

Nope, but I spend a month or two there each year (for fieldwork etc.), thus making intensive use of both postal and railway services... ;) Security measures are making things increasingly complicated for travellers, unfortunately.

By the way, there's a nationwide strike planned for October 10, so things might get a bit chaotic on that day in Corsica too...

--

almog

Posted: Sun, Oct 8, 2017, 19:46

Hi SQFP, thank you so much for these valuable pieces of information!
I wasn't aware at all of the upcoming strike, and it also makes sense of the lower (international) airline tickets pricing for the October 10th.
Do you know if strike is planned for 1 day, or is it possible that it'll continue throughout October 11th?
I couldn't quite figure this out as the coverage in the media seems to be lacking in details.

P.S. I can't help it but burn out of jealousy for what your job involves.

SQFP

Posted: Mon, Oct 9, 2017, 14:57

I wouldn't expect much trouble (save for a few delayed flights/trains) as the strike isn't supposed to last beyond Tue Oct. 10. Anyway as a precaution I booked my inbound flight to Corsica for today...
edit: just asked at the station, only one train cancelled so far (the first Calvi<>Ponte Leccia in the morning)
Short yet extreme weather events usually prove way more problematic at this time of the year ;)

--