Bed bugs

John L

Posted: Thu, Jun 8, 2017, 20:19

Heading to the GR8 20 in mid July and worried about bed bugs having had some experience in the Pyrenees.
Are they bad and can you avoid them if you have your own sleeping bag
John L
UK

--

John L

marie

Posted: Thu, Jun 15, 2017, 20:43

I´m also worried about the bed bugs. Anyone who can tell me at what refuges there are bed bugs. At all refuges, or is it a problem from the past?
/Marie

--

marie

Bruno

Posted: Sat, Jun 17, 2017, 19:37

We brought tents, but several other people who stayed in the refuges complained about bed bugs particularly in the northern half

lizzy

Posted: Sat, Jul 1, 2017, 1:36

At Petra Piana I saw the food and supplies get delivered by helicopter, and among the items was a big de-bugging box, so there are bugs at that refuge for sure

GRRR 20

Posted: Sat, Jul 1, 2017, 9:10

You have to take your own sleeping bag, and if your bag gets bugs inside it, you could transport them from refuge to refuge, and all the way home. Even if you don't see any bugs in your bag, there might still be eggs, and you could still end up with them in your house.

Michele

Posted: Sat, Jul 1, 2017, 9:40

It's almost impossible to completely eradicate this infestation. In the past the park people have used some pesticides that only mitigated the problem, but, unfortunately these evel pests are doomed to return.

John L

Posted: Sat, Jul 1, 2017, 16:25

Thanks Lizzy

--

John L

John L

Posted: Sat, Jul 1, 2017, 16:25

Thanks Grrr20

--

John L

John L

Posted: Sat, Jul 1, 2017, 16:26

Thanks Michele

--

John L

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Jul 11, 2017, 8:40

If you have a look at the new refuge booking site - http://reserver.sitecresa.fr/centraleresa/parcnaturel/ - you will see a line that reads - PUNAISES DE LIT INFORMATION RANDONNEURS.

Click on it, and you will find several pages of information about bedbugs. I have read about them before, and while I have never experienced them on the GR20, I have found them on another Mediterranean island. I have never read so much information as is on the PNRC site, so if you are looking for solutions, that looks like the best place to start.

Isabel S

Posted: Tue, Jul 11, 2017, 18:00

I found bed bugs in a hostel in Gran Canaria. I think the only place where I found them.

John L

Posted: Wed, Jul 12, 2017, 7:23

Thank you Grrr20. That's very useful info
John L

--

John L

John L

Posted: Wed, Jul 12, 2017, 7:23

Thank you Grrr20. That's very useful info
John L

--

John L

DaLi

Posted: Wed, Jul 12, 2017, 18:33

Petra Piana has a lot of bed bugs. On June 28th, a fellow had at least 50 bites on her arms.

Isabel S

Posted: Wed, Jul 12, 2017, 20:27

Bed bugs don't attack the same to everybody. I don't know why, in that hostel with bed bugs I wasn't bitten, while a girl in the room opposite to mine was several times bitten.

brianwayne

Posted: Sat, Oct 7, 2017, 10:24

The answer is to this is straight forward - they hitch rides with unsuspecting individuals by hiding in clothing, books, luggage even used furniture. They then disembark at their next breeding location and the whole process can begin again. The association between bed bugs and staying at grotty hotels or motels at the lower end of the accommodation market has always been there, however these days this is most definitely not the case, bugs have been found in the most luxurious 5 star hotels too! There have even been cases documented where children have taken them into school in their clothing, the bugs have then transferred from child to child causing bed bug infestations throughout the community served by the school.

--

Brian M Wayne