GR20 on a budget

dicksitter

Posted: Mon, Mar 24, 2014, 19:42

Hello,
I am hoping to hike the GR20 this June, but have been a bit put off by some of the budget reports I have read. The consensus seems to be about 30-40 euros/night/person is the low end of the budget spectrum - obviously it is easy to spend quite a bit more. Can this be true? I will be doing it as cheaply as I can, carrying a tent and a stove, and I have a hard time seeing how it would add up to 30 or 40 euros. As far as I can see, the going rate is 7 euros a night for camping. How can food be so expensive?
Can anyone give me a breakdown of how you end up spending 30 euros a day? Or, even better, is there anyone who managed to do it for less, and what did that entail?

Thanks very much.

dinny

Posted: Mon, Mar 24, 2014, 22:44

It's a couple of years since I was on the GR20, but I certainly never spent that much. As you say, camping (with your own tent) is around 7 euros. I took most food with me (home-dehydrated meals, snack bars, & breakfast cereal with dried milk) and bought some food along the way. I never had a meal at a refuge, so the biggest expense after camping was the beer - it's available at every refuge - delicious, well-earned, and expensive!
Dinny

cpt_pickard

Posted: Tue, Mar 25, 2014, 9:07

Well... theoretically it can be done for the camping fee (EUR 7,- or so) per day. With your own tent, stove and food, sure. No other mandatory expenses. It can be done for even less if you are a bit creative with the camping process. Not that I encourage it - as it is illegal - but sleeping behind a boulder is obviously free. It is, nevertheless, not that easy to do. People familiar with the route are able to tell where reasonable wild camping places are to be expected but if you're walking for the first time, you might easily find yourself with a stretch of land ahead with no reasonable sleeping place and a storm above you.

What adds to the usual daily average of approx. EUR 30,- are the small luxuries - beer, treats, snacks etc. People sometimes take into account the taxi expenses they had to pay to get to/from the starting points and so on.

But yes, in general your idea is correct. Camping fee per day, that's it.

Dan

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Mar 25, 2014, 9:11

I have always taken 30-40 euros per day with me on the island.....whether is it all scoffed up on the island only circumstances will decide this.
I hear of folks filling their rucksacks with dehydrated camping food packs but these are not my cup of tea....very expensive and maybe not too wholesome. Myself the only things, food-wise that I take in the sack from UK are a pack of Pasta, some tins of fish, a pack of Muesli and my bag of leaf-tea. The first three of these I can replenish en-route. Again if you take grub in the sack from home for the trip it is still part of the daily costs.
Remember travel on the island...myself, arriving Bastia airport on a Sunday (very little transport in early June)......staying at camping after a hitch down to Moriani, bus the next day and the navette to Conca and of course train at the finish from Calvi to take me close to Bastia Poretta airport for return.
A couple of cans of gas to buy for the cooking stove....garage in Moriani.
Looking at the first seven days which includes the day to get to the start then the addition of daily costs from Conca to Vizzavona the first six stages. Then the average daily expenditure comes out at very close to 30 Euros per day. From what I recall the Northern nine stages had an average per day of 27 Euros....I didn't have a beer until I arrived at d'Orto di u Piobbu on a warm afternoon when a second one was in order. If, say, you are a two beers per day person then that would scoff up nearly ten euros per day! Most of the supplies to the refuges has to be brought up from below using Mules and ponies.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Tue, Mar 25, 2014, 13:48

Camping (always ask for bivouac) is a standard 7 Euros at all the National Park refuges but dinner varies.

Last year, dinner at the refuge de Prati and Usciolu (just pasta with carrots!) was 9 Euro's, Plat de jour at Vizzavona was 10, Refuge de Manganu was 13, Asinau and Paliri were both 18 and Sega was 25 but that included 3 really good courses and wine.

The bargain of the trip was the independent refuge U'Renoso at Capanelle, which was 20 Euros for camping, hot showers and a really good 3 course dinner with 2 fresh trout each! The owner passed round bottles of local spirits afterwards too.

The meal at L'Onda was fantastic too but I didn't make a note of the price.

The beer is expensive but the local red wine is cheap at about 7 Euros per half litre.

--

Alan

dicksitter

Posted: Tue, Mar 25, 2014, 20:00

Thanks everyone for your responses, much quicker than I expected. Dinny, I saw a comment of yours on another thread and wished I could message you, you seemed like the person to ask :). What do you think a more reasonable daily estimate would be, assuming, hypothetically, that one could do without beer for the length of the trip? Do you think bringing dehydrated meals is necessary if you want to avoid eating meals at the refuges, or are there towns often enough to resupply?
There has to be some way of finding how often you pass through towns where you can buy food, but so far I'm striking out. Can anyone help me out? Point me in the right direction?

Again, thanks everyone for your advice!

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Mar 25, 2014, 20:33

Hello D,
I found it possible to purchase at many refuges and at the several places where the route crosses roads either dead end or those passing over the range.
I work on this basis for my resupply. Coming from the south I made purchases of food at Paliri, at Usciolu, at Col de Verde, at Capanelle and at the station shop in Vizzavona.
In the North again at most refuges and the bergeries ( summer high level stock rearing places ) are an extra source of cheese, bread and cured pig meats. There is no need to leave the trail if you are coming in June. I started on June the 4th, last year and found everything up and running.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Mar 25, 2014, 20:35

Hello D,
Perhaps I should have said that I both camp and cook my own meals.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Wed, Mar 26, 2014, 11:24

Hi

There's a great thread here: http://corsica.forhikers.com/forum/p/15568

Restocking en-route is pretty easy these days but there isn't much dehydrated food. I posted a couple of photo's of shop menu boards on my blog if you're interested:

http://tips4travellers.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/food-on-the-gr20/

--

Alan

dicksitter

Posted: Wed, Mar 26, 2014, 17:29

Wow, you guys really make it easy for a newbie, that's perfect.

Thank a lot for your help, Gaffr and Turner (and Cpt and dinny).

--

Dick

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Mar 26, 2014, 17:41

As the New Zealand folks have said very useful information....I did try to update my earlier visit findings.

--

Gaffr

dinny

Posted: Wed, Mar 26, 2014, 21:29

Ah shucks, you're welcome!
My choice of home-dehydrated meals etc was more to do with boring dietary restrictions, but had the perk of keeping costs down. The down side is that it all needs to be carried. I know from the hiking companion who was with me last time that a hunk of cheese from a bergerie (enough to last 3 days) was 9 euros. Don't plan to deprive yourself of Corsican beer though - it would be a big mistake :-)
I'm planning on being back on the GR20 in June, most likely, if not September, so may just see you on the trail...
Dinny

LottyS

Posted: Sat, May 24, 2014, 7:48

Nigel Crompton

Posted: Thu, May 29, 2014, 8:14

Is that 7 Euros per tent or per person. We're taking a two man tent.

--

Nigel Crompton

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, May 29, 2014, 11:16

Nigel

Per person I'm afraid.

--

Alan

Nigel Crompton

Posted: Thu, May 29, 2014, 17:22

Oh, well. Thanks

--

Nigel Crompton

Hiker84

Posted: Tue, Jun 17, 2014, 17:23

Hi!

We are planning to take this route(thanks for the recommendations Gaffr)
Cargese, E Case, Evisa and maybe Ota. Bus from Ajaccio to Cargese. Bus back to Ajaccio from Porto.

We are going to stay at the refuges along this route. Can you buy food at the refuges and what are the prices?
Another important question..Are you close to the civilisation along the route? We are walking at the same time as the semifinals in the World Cup of Football. Is it far to some restaurants?

Im very grateful if someone answer me.

/Samuel

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jun 17, 2014, 20:13

Hello,
I don't about a gite in Cargese....coming from the other direction....it was the finish of the walk for us coming from Calinzana... we walked out to the camping site a few Kls along the road. But I guess there must be some accommodation there.
We camped at E Case but there were folks staying in the Gite and having meals etc.
At Marignana we camped but again a gite/hostel with cooked meals if you wanted them....also I recall TV with Football on the screen! But then Evisa is very close so maybe not needed?
Evisa we camped but I sure there is a gite and several restaurants in the main street.
Gite at Ota with food...we camped on their rear terrace and had food there.
Prices ..it was 2009..not sure around 15-20 euros...of course a package price if sleeping in the Gite?

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jun 18, 2014, 9:41

Hello,
Yes no gite in Cargese...only hotels!
If you would like more details....phone numbers and names of the folks running the gites etc.
From my copy of the 'Entre Mer et Montagne'...the French guide for all of the 'lesser GR's' on the island I could let you have these but you would need to let me have an e mail address...it is a copy that I bought in 2008.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jun 18, 2014, 9:41

Hello,
Yes no gite in Cargese...only hotels!
If you would like more details....phone numbers and names of the folks running the gites etc.
From my copy of the 'Entre Mer et Montagne'...the French guide for all of the 'lesser GR's' on the island I could let you have these but you would need to let me have an e mail address...it is a copy that I bought in 2008.

--

Gaffr

Hiker84

Posted: Wed, Jun 18, 2014, 9:51

Hi!
Sounds perfect Gaffr. Thanks for all the information.
When you arrive to the gite in Ota. Is it close to the Village? Do they have a tv there as well?

Even here I want to see football(yes i am a footballfreak)

You can send me an email with the guide at sammiboy84@hotmail.com.

Tanka again!

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jun 18, 2014, 12:28

Hello,
I'll scan the relevant page from the Book and get it through as an attached thing...this evening!
I too enjoy the football....especially when the clever Italian team outwitted the English players....nothing changes.
There are several very good teams in the competition this time. The central defence of the Mexican team was outstanding against the Brazilians and so narrowly just missed winning in the last two minutes on two occasions... and of course the Netherlands team superb but they do have a habit of perhaps peaking too early during a competition. Who can ever forget the skill of Bergkamp when he scored against the Argentinians in France 1998.
When we were on the Mare a Mare Nord in 2008, a euro competition year, we could see a game, if we wanted to, on most evenings during our journey.
In Ota we camped on the terrace of the Chez Marie Gite/Hostel which was beside the main road....there is another Gite Chez Felix but don't know much about this one. TV and can't say but I'm sure that you could find someone with a TV in the village. The French are doing well in the contest so far.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Wed, Jun 18, 2014, 14:52

Samuel

If you look on Google Maps Street View, it does show a bar in Ota that seems to be linked to Chez Felix Gite d'etap. I haven't been to Ota but it looks lovely perched on the hillside.

--

Alan

SQFP

Posted: Thu, Oct 5, 2017, 17:59

The 'Chez Félix' gite does not feature TV in the dormitory/rooms (nor WiFi for that matter) but they definitelt have a TV (and internet access) at the bar-restaurant next to it.

--

French geologist with a soft spot for Corsica...